Be Still and Know.........



Hello my friends, I've almost let the week get away without posting.  It's not that I don't have anything to say, it's just that I've been hearing the Lord speaking to my heart to be quiet.  I do find peace in the quietness. I had a friend from church visit me recently.  She stopped by to see me after I returned from the hospital. We visited a bit, then she began to look around my living room.  Her eyes got big as she asked, Where is your television?  I replied,  I don't watch television.  She repeated my answer almost with a face of shock. For years the television was a constant noise maker in my life. My husband's favorite thing to do was watch the television.  He would sit and watch it all day and night at times.  I might add the programs he chose to watch were not always favorable.  He also liked to watch it with the volume up loud , so very much noise.  Sometimes he would even demand that I sit with him and watch it too.
So now days the television is no longer a nuisance in my home, but something that I have to entertain me if I choose to watch it.  You see I do own a very small 9 inch TV with a built in DVD player.  I watch choice movies on it in my bedroom when I so desire. This same friend asked me the next Sunday at church,  Don't you ever get bored?  I replied,  No, hardly ever. She said what to you do. I answered,  I crochet, I read,  I blog, I piddle around the house. Yes, I am in a different season of my life, but to be perfectly honest,  I've always enjoyed being home. I was mostly a stay at home mother and I take pride in that fact, although I did work outside the home as well. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that as at times it becomes necessary.

I find myself rambling on now, although to say.....some noise is wonderful.  Children laughing,  beautiful music and singing, a bird's song, church bells ( they are played hourly in our little town ) even the sound of a quiet thunder I find soothing at times. It's the pointless noise that is the loudest in my ears. Do you agree? I am learning to live a quiet life! And embracing it whole heartedly ♡
 It'seems that God speaks to us the most when we are the quietest, that is how it seems to me anyway.   Blessings to all, Shelley

Reading aloud

Comments

  1. You and I are so much alike. There is no place I'd rather be than home and I like it quiet! I have more than enough around here to keep me busy so boredom is rarely a problem. Hope you are doing well!

    Grace & Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly,
    I too, love my home and peace and quiet..Not much of a tv person.
    And I have plenty to keep me busy...keeper of my home .
    So proud your doing better. Have been praying for you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up not liking t.v. because we had no cable and in the mountains where I lived, we got only 3 channels. (for a while at least, until my parents bought cable t.v.) Right now I only watch reruns from old shows such as "Jeff's Collie" (the precursor to "Timmy and Lassie". I also watch EWTN which is the Catholic channel and it gives me great consolation. My kids tell me that today, you don't need a t.v., as most is on the computer. I worry to think of young people watching these new prime-time shows that are downright evil!

    I think silence is important and something we should all strive for. It is a great help to grow spiritually. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shelley, we are indeed kindred spirits. "Piddling around the house" is something I love to do. I never get bored either. I don't have time. Today I worked on a doll's dress, chatted with my mom on the phone for an hour, did laundry, cleaned, watched a taped show "Heartbeat" on TV, and worked on my computer. I bet you would love Heartbeat; it's a British show taped in Yorkshire England and set in the 1960's although filmed in the 1990's - 2000's. It's quite funny and very well done and not crude in the least. Very wholesome. We didn't have a TV until 2003. We rarely watch it, but we do like British shows. I love peace and quiet and there is rarely a sound in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree and know exactly "where You're coming from"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you all so very much for taking time to leave a comment. I treasure them.....truly ♡

John 3:16

Popular Posts